Sunday, May 03, 2009

Triathlon Momma!


For those of you that know Elizabeth well, you know that she is not one to let much get in her way of living life! Several months ago, she pronounced that she intended to do a triathlon, something she has never done before, on the first Saturday in May. As a dutiful and supportive husband, I forced my face to show an outward expression of support, while thinking to myself, "What! Clearly she has forgotten about the rigorous pace of our lives. Clearly she has forgotten about our three young and energetic boys that she has in tow all day every day. Clearly, this one will get a good start, but will be overcome by the realities of our life". DOUBT NOT! I forgot for a moment who I was talking about! While I, at times, can become too easily paralyzed by the realities of life's demands, settling for crossing things off of my list and keeping the kids alive, Elizabeth stares life square in the face and says, "BRING IT!"

...And bring it, she did. Indeed, the first Saturday of May rolled around and there we were, Elizabeth's biggest fan club (me and the boys), watching Elizabeth, our favorite triathlete, cross the finish line with a confident smile on her face, as if to proclaim, "Who's Yo Momma?!!"



We really had a great day supporting our momma in this pursuit. Elizabeth and I pulled the kiddos out of bed just before 5 am, loaded them up, and headed for Hastings, NE for the big event. We came prepared to cheer momma on with our homemade 'momma shakers' (above) and everything.

Here's Elizabeth looking strong in the last leg of the race. She did great!
Here's the whole crew. There were seven people from our ward that participated in the triathlon. It was a lot of fun to be there enjoying the camaraderie and friendship of others in an event like this.

Truly, this was a very fun day. It capped months of preparation, hard work and determination. My wife, the superstar!

21 comments:

Liz said...

lizzie, you are amazing! way to go mama. i can't believe you have 3 kids. good post mike!

Kim Walker said...

GO LIZ! Wow, I am truly inspired. I don't know that I could have the stamina to train for something like that with 3 kids, and I don't even have twins, let alone 3 BOYS!!! I have one boy and I don't know how you did it. Great Job!

Kara and Kevin said...

Go Liz!! How fun and it looks like you did great. I bet it felt like such an awesome accomplishment!! Congrats on doing a triathlon after having 3 kiddos, amazing and inspiring!!!

Lana said...

That is so awesome Liz!! I can honestly say right now that I could not do a tri with my boys being 1 1/2 yrs. You are so inspiring!! Way to go!

Katie and Eric said...

Way to go Liz!!! I am so impressed. You really do go at things with such a great attitude and that is way you are able to do so many amazing things. GREAT JOB! Lots of love.

Sara said...

I am so impressed. Way to go Elizabeth!!

Alisa said...

SO AWESOME Liz!!!! I'm so proud of you....you did it!!! I forgot it was this past weekend, I'm gald Mike posted this!!! Congrats!!

Colleen and Justin said...

You truly are amazing in every sense of the word. I admire your strength, determination, attitude, and your body! I love ya! Way to go! You are awesome!

Monique said...

Go Liz Go Liz Go Liz!! You rock. And make it look so easy! Way to go.

KeriLyn and Matthew said...

Awesome, Liz!!! How wonderful!!! that is very inspiring!!!

Catie said...

You never cease to amaze and inspire me Liz- thank you! (Great post Mike!)

amy stansel said...

yeah liz - nice of you to mention that you did this when we talked today. You are amazing. How fun. I would love to do this someday. Good for you!!!

The Giles said...

Ahhhhh.... YEAH!!! I'm so glad. I need to call and hear about it. I bet you were a total rockstar. Way to go Liz.

Thanks for posting this Mike!

Mandy said...

Nice post Mike and way to Tri Liz! Are you addicted now? The training - not so much - but the actual event is so fun. I am so proud of you!

Anne Marie said...

One amazing mama!!!! Congrats on training for and completing the triatholon!!!! I am utterly speechless....how did you do it??? You look gorgeous and so fit. And, I've been here catching up on all your news. Congratulations on the BYU MBA program!!!!! You will love your time there. I am frankly so jealous. Those two years we spent there as an MBA family were some of the best years of our lives. We made so many dear friends, especially through the MBA spouse association (go to all their activities if you can!). My boys were nearly 4 and barely 1 when we started the program, and things worked quite well for us. Jared was quite busy the first year, but it was manageable. We used to go visit him on campus to bring him lunch or homemade banana bread. The boys loved getting to see their daddy in the middle of the day. Wish my hubby worked closer now, so we could do that. I'm sorry...I'm waxing very nostalgic. I know you will love it there. I'm so happy that your house is sold. What a blessing! Hope things go well during the summer when you're apart. I know that the time will get long, but just think of the sparks that will be flying when you reunite:) Jared and I were once apart for 3 weeks, and when we saw each other again at the airport, it was like falling in love all over again. One of these days, we will have to meet up, twin mama! Good luck with everything!

Camie said...

AWESOME LIZ!! I'm so proud of you! I remember when you first told me about this and I was so excited for you, and I also knew it would be right at the time that I was having a baby! What an exciting weekend. Mike--you did a great job writing this post and I love the things you wrote about Liz--she is an amazing person and this is just one of her many, many accomplishments.

wendysue said...

Congratulations Elizabeth! What an awesome accomplishment!! I totally love the kiddos and their "momma shakers!"

Melvin and Carly said...

Wow! I am always impressed by you, Liz! (Great post, Mike.) I could never do a triathlon because I'd probably drown during the swimming part, but you never cease to inspire!

wildthayn said...

Liz, you're a super star!!! I'm so impressed at all that you do!!!

Torrey said...

Way to go Liz. You really do always follow through with your goals. You look smokin' in those pictures. I'm proud of you and inspired.

Shannon said...

Elizabeth - You are super momma! that is the coolest thing! Your boys are so big...and now back to PROVO! you guys never seem to slow down. Sure miss you guys!

love,
Shannon