Wednesday, June 17, 2009

A Little Less Than Ideal

So, it's true, our first weeks in Utah were a little less than ideal. For as smoothly as the move went, the couple weeks following were equally as crazy! It all started the night before Mike went back to NE when Reid threw up! It was the beginning of two weeks of vomiting children (and an occasional mommy), vomit in the car (in the built-in car seat which is miserable to clean up!), vomit at my brother's house, at my sister's house, more vomit in the car, etc. You're probably wondering why I took puking children anywhere. Well, it seemed they were feeling OK just to then puke at the most inopportune time.

We were rear ended by an 18-year-old who, "accidentally hit the gas instead of the brake." Are you serious? Even if that's what I did, I don't know if I would admit it to the lady I just hit. Then the car repair people tried to give me a compact car car to squeeze my three car seats into while they repaired my van.

And, lastly, our storage unit that we put all of our belongings into had a defective door that had a gaping hole at the top of it. Unfortunately, they wouldn't let me leave them with a key so they could have the door repair company come and fix it. Instead, it required me coordinating with the door repair company and another trip to Provo (an hour drive) to be present while they fixed it. So, my storage unit had a broken/open door for two weeks because there was no way I could get down there with sick kiddos. Eventually, I got a key to my brother Bil who was kind enough to take care of it for me.

Luckily, things have taken a turn for the better. The puking has stopped, the van and storage unit door are fixed, and we've gotten into a nice routine at grandma and grandpa's house. Today, I found housing for us in Provo and things seem to be falling into place. Our daddy is coming to visit for the Father's Day weekend and we can't wait to see him!

10 comments:

Mandy said...

Isn't it interesting how just when you think things can't get any worse, they do. When we moved for MBA school, our house sale practically fell through leaving us homeless for a few weeks. We lived in the Residence Inn and while the breakfast and house cleaning was nice, I was doubting the move, the need for more education and feeling terribly homesick for my home, my friends and normalcy. And yet, in those "less than ideal" times, I felt the love of the Lord the most in my life. He's aware of your sweet family Liz - it's all going to be worth it.

Melvin and Carly said...

Sounds, um, exciting. Cleaning up puke in car seats and cars is the worst. I'm sorry you had to do it. Hope everything works out for you. We're excited to see you in a couple of weeks!

Whitney said...

We were happy to see you, puke and all! Where did you find housing?

The Giles said...

Ugh! All at once. But I'm glad things are on the mend. Keep trying to reach you to chat. I hope to see you sometime this summer.

April said...

Lizzie -

I am so sorry things have been so crazy. It is going to be so wonderful having Mike with you this weekend. And I am so happy you found housing. I am excited to see it. I am praying that things will turn up for you guys.
See you in 3 WEEKS!!! Woa that is soon.

Anne Marie said...

Two weeks of vomiting!!! Ugh! I can't believe it lasted so long. Glad that's behind you now. Hope you have a great weekend with your hubby!

Monique said...

For the love. Even when you clean the car of puke, there is that lingering smell. ew. So sorry. We have all been there one time or another and feel for you big time!

KeriLyn and Matthew said...

gosh Liz! What a crazy couple of weeks.....i am glad you found a place in provo.....i am sure you will be ready to have a place to call home and settle into!!! In the meantime, enjoy being w/ grandma and grandpa!

Jen said...

So sorry, puking kids is the worst . . . three puking kids is the pits! I am coming to Utah over the 4th of July weekend and would LOVE to see you guys. We'll be up in Park City and it's only a 45 minute drive!! I hope it works out.

Sure love you.

A Momma said...

Sounds like a rough time. Glad to hear that the puking is done and life is more normal. Hope you are having fun out there!