Wednesday, March 12, 2008

My morning!

Just the other day my cute neighbor commented on how much I have it "together." She mentioned that the kids are always well dressed, happy, and I seem to handle everything with ease. Well, I guess I'm glad she doesn't see everything that goes on in these walls. This morning was hilariously crazy!

Andrew and I were eating breakfast together while Tanner and Reid were hanging out in their animal chairs. I thought I'd give Andrew a quick haircut while he was already strapped in his booster seat. I handed him a few jelly beans and began buzzing. As soon as he was done I plopped him in the bathtub and went to feed Tanner and Reid.

Not long after I sat down to nurse the babies Andrew starts yelling that he's done! Done? This kid usually spends 20-30 minutes in the bathtub! I told him he'd have to wait, I was feeding the babies. He keeps yelling! I keep telling him to wait! The next thing I know I hear little footsteps running down the hall! Out comes wet, cold little Andrew saying, "burrrrr!!"

I told him to go get a towel. He comes back dragging a towel, not quite skilled enough to wrap it around himself in a way that might provide warmth. I wrap him up like a burrito and he sits down next to me. Then he starts saying, "clothes, clothes, clothes." Off he runs and returns with a pair of pants and a shirt. I told him to get a diaper too and I would get him dressed (all this is still happening while I'm nursing). He goes back to his room, but didn't return. I heard him playing with toys and assumed he'd been sidetracked and was fine.

A couple of minutes later he emerges saying, "ewwwwwe!!" Yup, he pooped in his room! I laid Tanner and Reid down so I could clean up the mess. They weren't happy about their breakfast being interrupted and were red-faced screaming! After cleaning up the mess and getting a diaper on Andrew I came back to finish feeding Tanner and Reid.

At this point, Andrew was sitting at my feet reading books and saw rubber ducks in the book and thought, "hey, I have some of those in my tub!" He returns from the bathroom with two ducks that are filled with water and puts them in the book in classic two-year-old fashion.

I just started laughing! I have a naked two year old, hair on my kitchen floor, a bag of poop ready to go to the outside garbage can, a sopping wet book (and carpet), two babies who are eating in shifts, and it's only 7:30 a.m.!!

Here are my boys after all messes had been cleaned up, but before anyone got dressed. I'm not sure if I'd say I have it "together," but my life is never dull!

13 comments:

Alisa said...

ha ha...how funny!

Whitney said...

Life is never dull with kids!

Melvin and Carly said...

Can I just say how glad I am to hear that you have mornings like that too? I'm not the only one! Hooray! But, unlike you, I'm usually grumbling or crying instead of laughing. Can you ship me a dose or two hundred of your patience/good nature/whatever it is that you've got? You are amazing.

Mrs. Hass-Bark said...

Yikes!

KeriLyn and Matthew said...

I would say you have it together if you can laugh your way through it! What a crazy morning, but the boys are soooo cute!!!

Katie and Eric said...

That is one crazy morning!

Anne Marie said...

That definitely sounds like one crazy morning! Definitely never a dull moment. You're handling it like a champ.

Sara said...

I love your story!! it makes me super excited to have my own.

Amy said...

OH wow!!! Unfortunately I can relate to the craziness!! It's fun to hear other people have similar experiences!!! What a crazy morning and all before 7:30!!!

Torrey said...

LOL... Oh Liz. I was seriously laughing so hard reading this and picturing you telling it. Andrew sound hilarious, just like his mom.

Rebecca Smylie said...

I don't know Liz, I think I still probably agree with your neighbor. You're going to have to do more than that if you want to convince me that you don't always have it all together.

Ralph and Teresa said...

I had to laugh right out loud!! I remember those days...it's all coming back! I will never forget the day I FINALLY got settled on the bed to nurse Alisa and Elzabeth! Brian, 9 years old, comes in to tell me Eric, our 2 year old is stuck in a tree and I needed to go get him. This had to be the 5th time I interrupted Alisa and Elizabeth's feeding! They did NOT like it when I left them! I really think that is why twins become so easy to live with. They have had missed expectations from the very beginning :) Keep on keeping on, Liz! You DO HAVE it altogether! Love, Teresa

Monique said...

Hey that's "together" enough for me. You go girl! I'm just glad that you can laugh through it all.