I was not about to turn Gretchen down when she called asking if she could take our kids overnight so we could get away before this baby comes! I was thrilled! I feel like Mike and I have very little alone time in this phase of life and it was just what we were needing!
We had such a great plan. Drop the kids off, head to the outlets, then into Chicago to go to the temple. Spend the night in our awesome Priceline hotel and sleep in! We were going to spend our morning talking through our annual planning (which sounds nerdy, but I LOVE doing this with Mike!), then head downtown for our lunch cruise at noon.
It seemed like a great plan, but everything went wrong! Nasty traffic, missed our session at the temple, huge headache from sitting so long in traffic, had to get up at 6:30 a.m. to make the temple, expired recommend, missed session, finally figured it all out, made it downtown only to be told our cruise was now leaving two hours later. Oh, it goes on, but we didn't even care, we didn't even get mad or frustrated (although I did let out a controlled sob when I thought I couldn't go to the temple, I blame pregnancy for that one), we were just happy to be together, to have uninterrupted conversation. We kind of laughed at how everything was much different than planned and anticipated. It kind of seems like our lives, though. Always different than we planned, but somehow it works out.
In the end, we boarded our lunch cruise and it was the best part of our time away. It was a beautiful day, we had such great conversation, and something finally went as planned, maybe even better!
Thank you Eric and Gretchen for being good sports and keeping our kids longer than anticipated. I know it was more work for you as well, but we really appreciated the time away!
No comments:
Post a Comment