Wednesday, July 29, 2009

We're......!

There was a time when Mike and I wondered how we'd have a family. Month after month passed, year after year passed, and still no baby on the way. It seemed like all our friends and siblings were having babies right and left and we were somehow left behind. Infertility challenged our strength, our faith, our relationship, everything in us. Yet, we feel like we walked away better people having experienced those hard and lonely years waiting for little people to fill our home. We wouldn't give those years up for anything.

After going through every infertility treatment under the stars, we were elated when we found out Andrew was on his way! We were doubly thrilled when we found out we had 'two for the price of one' with two more little guys coming to our family! Yet, there was a part of me that wanted to wear a huge sign that said, "All these babies didn't come easy!" I didn't want the infertility populations to think I had left their ranks. Although I'm up to my eyeballs in mommyhood, those feelings of desperation and squelched hope are still very fresh in my mind.

A few months ago, Mike and I were talking about our little family. How many more times are we up for IVF, how will we afford it again, what would the timing be, how would we do it with school, etc? With grad school and a move looming, the topic was put on the back burner, yet we had no resolution.


Two days before our move, we were shocked to find out that baby #4 is on the way! Our disbelief quickly turned to excitement. Actually, the disbelief stuck around for a few days for me, but once blood work confirmed I was pregnant I started to try and wrap my mind around the fact that we were....pregnant! We didn't spend weeks in KC with a team of doctors or drain our savings, we're just pregnant!

We feel very excited, and very humbled, as we prepare for this next little person to come to our family. I feel like Heavenly Father knows exactly what each of us needs at every given moment in our lives. What we need rarely comes when we expect it, but somehow it all works out. Maybe I needed five years of wanting children to be able to handle and enjoy four children in four years. Regardless, I love being a mother, I love my boys, and I'm excited for baby #4 to join our family in January!

29 comments:

Brooke said...

How exciting! I'm so happy for you!

Liz said...

i'm so excited for your little family! congrats again, guys!

amy stansel said...

yay!! I still can't believe it.

Anne Marie said...

So happy for you!!!! Congratulations on the great news!!!! What a miracle.

KeriLyn and Matthew said...

I am soooo excited.....I can't tell you how many of my friend I have told, and even though they don't know you, they are excited for you.....you are both wonderful parents, and you will have so much fun raising the children!!!

Camie said...

Liz--
It's truly a miracle, and I couldn't be happier for you. You are a fabulous mother, and I'm so happy your home is getting filled up with adorable little people! Can't wait to catch up after the big move weekend!

Alisa said...

yay!! we're thrilled for you guys! Heavenly Father really does KNOW us, doesn't He?!!! Hope all the busyness in Provo is going well!

wendysue said...

Wow! Huge Congrats to you and Mike. What a blessing!

Melvin and Carly said...

Congratulations! I am truly happy for you. I can tell you are a fabulous mother and that child is so blessed to be headed to your home. And I love how, with the exception of Audrey, all of our kids are so close in age and birthdays!

Erin and Devin said...

Wahoo! That is the coolest thing!!! I am really excited for you two, well for your whole family :). Miss ya!

SeƱora H-B said...

How wonderful! I can't wait to "meet" the new addition.

Shelby said...

YAY!!! You know I'm around to help you out whenever I can! Congrats!

wildthayn said...

Oh Lizzie!!! I'm so excited for you!!! You are such an amazing Mommy and such a wonderful example! I can't wait to see who this little person is!!!

April said...

We are so happy for you guys!!! I am so thrilled I get to be near when baby #4 arrives. You are such a deserving mother...I am so happy for this surprise for you guys.

Marianne said...

Congrats!! I'm due on Jan. 11-so we'll be close!!

kteuscher said...

WOW!! This is taking a minute for me to process...I had to read the paragraph a few times to make sure I read it right. I am so excited for you. Congrats all around. (P.S. I'm sure you just want a healthy baby, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a girl :) Sorry, I just can't help it.

The Giles said...

Well done on the blog post. I tear up when I think about this. I'm beyond thrilled for you!

QnA Drapers said...

someone told me to check your blog... how exciting! We're excited for you guys!!! Keep us posted!

Brent Fox said...

Liz, I am so happy for you guys! That is great. What a miracle for your cute little family!

Kristy said...

So, so happy to hear this news! Maybe I'll luck out and get to avoid the shots with #2.

Colleen and Justin said...

This is the first I've checked any blogs for months! I was so excited to read your news. I'm with Karen on the girl thing! Congratulations!

Mandy said...

Did I already comment? If so, you know I'm absolutely thrilled for your little (ever growing) family Liz. Congrats! xoxo Mandy

Torrey said...

I am just thrilled for you. You worded everything perfectly in this post. I'm doubly excited that I will be around to see this baby #4

Sara said...

That is just pure excitement!! Congratulations! And here's hoping for a girl!!

nikki said...

That is so wonderful! Congratulations. Heavenly Father really does know what we need and when we need it. Thank goodness for tender mercies.

Johanna said...

Wow, that is great. I am excited you guys are in Utah again, and April is coming. We need to have a Hasler family dinner sometime. Where are you guys living now? Congrats

Katie said...

congrats Mike and Liz! That is so exciting. I don't know if I have commented on any of your posts before, but I do check your page out occasionally and seeing a bit into your lives. Hope everything continues to go well for your cute family!

Melissa said...

WONDERFUL NEWS! Congratulations! You must find out soon what you are having?! Keep us posted.

A Momma said...

YOU! You didn't tell me. And I didn't tell you! (I don't think I did...) We are due January 10th with another girl. When is your due date? Maybe we'll have twins!