Friday, September 18, 2009

A Birthday for our Boys!

We celebrated Tanner and Reid's birthday last Sunday. It was a minimal celebration compared to last year, but a great day none the less. Tanner and Reid started the day by sharing an apple together while I made pancakes. They would each take a bite and then pass it to the other. I love when they share unassisted by me or Mike.
Luckily, their birthday fell on a Sunday, which meant daddy got to celebrate with us! Lunch with dad is always much more exciting! We had stake conference and then that evening Grandma and Grandpa Christensen came down for a classic two-year-old birthday dinner of homemade macaroni and cheese!
The boys felt so important dishing up their own salad. It's funny to see the things they get so excited about.After dinner we opened presents. We were boring parents and gave them the clothes they needed, while grandma and grandpa gave the toys. Perfect for a year we are in grad school! Tanner and Reid love clothes, so I think they were excited about both; however, we were careful to have them open the clothes first.
New backpacks with animals and cars, having grandma read a book, does life get any better for our big boys?!



Andrew is a little party planner. For two weeks before Tanner and Reid's birthday he has been asking them what kind of cakes they want. After so many discussions, both Tanner and Reid knew exactly what kind of cakes they wanted. Tanner had an elephant cake and Reid had a bear cake. These cakes weren't as spectacular as other cakes in the past, but cut me some slack, I had to make two of them!Despite what they looked like, both cakes were enjoyed by all!
And the day ended with piggy back rides upstairs from daddy!
We really had a great time celebrating Tanner and Reid's birthday. They are so fun and so different.
Reid always has a toy animal in his hand, usually a lion or bear (or both!). All day long he asks me, "Mama, where my daddy go?" To which he then answers, "cool." He loves to repeat what others are saying and seems to run everywhere he goes. One of our favorite things Reid says is, "bight back" as he holds up one finger and then runs away. So cute!
Tanner is always busy discovering. When his brothers sit down to watch a show, Tanner sits for about 10 seconds then gets on to bigger and better things. Whenever I'm cooking, he pushes a chair up to the counter and says, "help." He's my little kitchen buddy with cooking, but also loves to "do the dishes." Tanner is also the best at cleaning up! Whether it's taking diapers to the garbage or putting toys away, he loves to clean up and organize. Favorite line from Tanner-- when we're headed somewhere and Tanner's a little behind he says, "coming" in the cutest little Tanner voice.
We love these boys!

6 comments:

Alisa said...

so cute and fun! wish we could've been there to celebrate! cute cute boys! what's on reid's forehead?

The Giles said...

Wow, such cute boys! I can't believe they are two. I am very impressed that you made 2 cakes. I probably would've made one and had a candle for each.

Anne Marie said...

Happy Birthday to those two cutie pies!!!! I can't believe they're two already. It seems like just a few weeks ago I found out you were pregnant with twins. They're absolutley adorable. It's so great to have family closeby to celebrate with.

amy stansel said...

ahhh so cute. happy birthday to your cute cute boys!!

Melvin and Carly said...

Liz, I still think you're amazing. I'm pretty sure I would not have made TWO cakes. Seriously, how do you do it?

Your boys are adorable. And is it the angle of the picture or is Reed really that much taller than Tanner? Love the sticker on Reed's forehead. :)

GUENTHERS said...

Wow, so cute. It looks like you definitely know how to have fun!