Monday, June 04, 2007

Nebraska, The Good Life

My doctor in KC is originally from Nebraska and loved that Mike and I moved here! At one of our appointments we were laughing about Nebraska's state signs when you enter the state. The sign used to just say, "Nebraska, the good life!" Then, a couple of years ago some brilliant person decided to add, "Home of Arbor Day." It just seemed kind of funny. We laughed about how they should have stuck with the tag line, "the good life."
Anyway, this Saturday afternoon definitely embodied our state tag line. As I sat on the steps of our deck and watched Mike mow stripes in our backyard, I had this feeling that this truly is the good life. Andrew roamed the backyard poking sticks at the fence, bushes, and anything else he could poke. He picked my tomato plants, played in his swing, and with great excitment and the hugest smile he helped Mike push the mower. A neighbor came over and we chatted and enjoyed the beautiful day. Our Saturday's aren't always this picture perfect and Mike and I won't stay here forever, but for now it's the perfect place for our little family. So, for the next while we'll enjoy Nebraska's good life....and home of Arbor Day!

5 comments:

Alisa said...

why is it the home of arbor day? isn't arbor day the celebration of trees?

Elizabeth said...

Arbor Day originated in Nebraska. The things you learn...

Camie said...

That's hilarious! Especially since there are NO TREES in sight of the sign! Happy arbor day! What a great claim to fame for your state!

Marc, Michelle, Jackson, and Bennett said...

How funny about arbor day...i wouldn't have ever known that it started in Nebraska. we are definitely enjoying the sunny warm weather around here too.

Kara said...

I love relaxing happy days as you described. How fun for your family.