Saturday, November 29, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving back

I love the movie You've Got Mail and every Thanksgiving I think of grumpy Rose at the market wishing Tom Hanks a "Happy Thanksgibing back." Oh, it makes me laugh!
Anyway, we had a great Thanksgiving. For some reason I didn't take a single picture until all our guests were gone and the kids were in bed. I must have been preoccupied with all the happenings, but it frustrates me when I forget to take pictures! We had the Meikle and Moss families join us for our feast. Here's my token picture from our Thanksgiving. These are my tom turkey place cards- a hit with the kiddos. We had great company, ate delicious food, and it was a nice day.

Friday came and we quickly got to business getting Christmas set up. Andrew is eating it up! He's so excited about Christmas, baby Jesus, Santa, and even shopping! He came with me to Shopko today and kept saying, "How about a _____ for dad?" He was so intent on getting a barometer with dogs on it for Mike that I had to do some serious distraction to be able to leave the store without it! Mike also set up the lights and did our last raking of the season. He had his fan club watching him the whole time!This year Mike and I have swallowed our pride and embraced having three small children by putting up the scrawniest little fake Christmas tree we've ever seen. We've been trying to figure out what to do this year for a tree with two new walkers who are so busy. We've had a couple of Christmas trees tip over and it just seemed risky, messy, and challenging to keep them away from it. So, for the first time in my life, I got up for Black Friday sales to buy our $30 Christmas tree! Did you know people actually get dressed and put makeup on for this? I literally rolled out of bed and went, ha!

Anyway, we've sworn to ourselves this won't be permanent-- one, maybe two years. We almost couldn't go through with it. When we pulled it out of the box, it looked so pathetic that we almost packed it up and went to cut a real one down at a local tree farm. But, we're doing it! We have a skinny fake tree and so far it's holding up great with the boys.

Reason #1 for the fake tree:Reason #2 for the fake tree.Just a couple of random pictures. Our boys love when daddy is home! This is classic daddy time.

I love this picture! I just can't resist that chubby face!
We hope you all had a great Thanksgiving weekend too!

12 comments:

KeriLyn and Matthew said...

I love all the pics! You have such a cute family! I love the tree....we went to artificial last year....we didn't do small....we have a decent looking one.....I told myself I would never do artificial, but now that we have it, I like it!!! No messy needles, no having to water it, etc. Althoug, I miss the smell, and going to pick out the perfect tree, I think I am a fan of artificial!!!

Anne Marie said...

I love "You've got mail"...definitely one of my favorite movies to watch in the fall. Your family looks beautiful. It is so fun to have one of your kids really old enough to get the whole Christmas thing. I love your idea of just doing a smaller, simple tree with three small kiddos in the house.

Liz said...

lizzie, happy thanksgiving back! i was saying that all week. that movie is such a classic. i love the update. your boys are getting so big i cannot believe it. oh, and calvin spent the entire week trying to wrestle with cameron as much as possible. i was thinking the whole time that i think calvin and andrew probably could have had some fun together getting some of that out on each other!

Whitney said...

I love You've Got Mail too and we do the same Happy Thanksgiving back. :) And, don't feel too bad, we have joined the ranks of fake trees this year too because of the Gabe Man. Thankfully my parents had one they weren't using so we put it up. It is sad not to have a real tree but Gabe made a b-line for the tree as soon as we put ornaments up.

Kara and Kevin said...

Looks like fun. I think we are doing something different for our tree as well. We'll see what we come up with, but the tree is still looks good.

Melvin and Carly said...

We started using an artificial tree a couple of years ago too. I'm a big fan of real trees; it's always so sad to fluff the branches of this one. But it's easier with the little guys! And I make sure to always put the nice ornaments up top and the kid-friendly ones at the bottom. Each year I underestimate how high they can reach!

Glad you had a nice Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

I saw your blog on the Guenther's blog and wanted to say hello! Your boys are SO adorable and so big! You guys are amazing! I don't know that I could handle twins! :) If you want to check out our family blog it's the-phillipsfamily.blogspot.com. James and I have great memories of the Red Bridge days!

Marc, Michelle, Jackson, and Bennett said...

I'm glad you had a fun Thanksgiving. Your boys are all adorable. I love the picture of Andrew and his stocking feet and the other two boys at the door. Don't worry about the Christmas tree, at least you have one. We aren't even having one this year. :)

wendysue said...

Hey, your skinny fake tree is just like ours!! Where I like our tree just isn't big enough for a huge one, so we actually have 2 skinny ones, one by the window, and one in the corner. They go up fast and easy, and you're right, if it gets knocked down, oh, well, it's easy to put back up. Someday a real one, Someday.

The Giles said...

You got those turkeys from Martha Stewart huh? I almost did them, but opted for the ones that had a template and all I had to do was print it off.

Jon said...

Oh come on. That's a sweet tree.

Sister Abby Bowler said...

I love the quote from You've Got Mail! As you may remember it's one of our favs. And those babies couldn't be cuter! I love checking in on your blog now and then to see you cute family. Love and miss you!