Monday, April 16, 2007

go grey?

As many of you know, there are a great deal of things I have inherited from my dad- his grey hair being one of them! My dad is affectionately known by our family as the "silver fox." As you can see in this picture, he is so hansome with his silver hair! He is easy to spot in crowds and when he wears a suit he looks so dapper with is silver hair contrasting against a dark suit coat.
So, my dilemma is, should I go grey? I got my first grey hair when I was 17 and they've continued to increase in numbers. In these last couple years they've started to increase exponentially! Right now, Mike says I look somewhat like a skunk because I've got a really big grey streak up front.

Every time I consider going grey I remember meeting a spunky mother of five in her early forties while quilting for a service project at Women's Conference. She was energetic, delightful, and happy. My sister Rachael and I gravitated toward her and thought she was charming and sweet! She had this amazingly beautiful head of grey hair and she pulled it off so well! Rachael always tries to convince me to go grey like this delightful woman, but I haven't had the guts yet. I just don't know if I should attempt to pull it off...especially with twins on the way. I know I'll be tired and look exhausted and I don't think grey hair will help!

So, any opinions? I've been planning to have Mike color my hair tonight, so I'll take input until 8:00 p.m. CST.

10 comments:

Katie and Eric said...

I am sure you could pull it off Liz...who better! The real question is do you really want to? I know that I wouldn't want to yet. I think you of all people can pull off anything. Let us know what you decide. We love ya!

Liz said...

lizzie! not yet...wait a little longer. i think it will look good later but do you really want grey hair before you're even 30?!!! but, i will support you with your decision!

Marc, Michelle, Jackson, and Bennett said...

I'm sure you could pull it off...but I wouldn't do it yet! You have the rest of your life to be grey, but you can only color your hair for so long...I guess I've seen some really old grandma's with red and brown hair...so I don't know. :) Good Luck with the decision!

Anonymous said...

Interesting. You just don't see a lot of grey haired women anymore. My personal opinion is that men can pull it off better. I would wait until you have a full head of grey and are a lot older. (Also, if it's a dull, lifeless grey, than I would DEFINITELY color it) But wait! Aren't we still 18? What's all this talk of grey? Ha, ha.

Shauna Brown said...

You're Dad is a Silver Fox for sure, but come on, that's why hair dye was invented.

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for all your input. The deed is done. I gave Mike a hair cut last night and he colored my hair! I think I'll go grey eventually, but I've got a lot of years ahead of me to be grey. Happily, I will remain a brunette!

ps- I did trim my own bangs yesterday and they got a little short. Yikes!

Amy said...

Liz I definitely would wait. I KNOW you will pull it off some day. However, if you go grey and have twins and another little toddler I feel like you will start feeling ugly. I mean it in the nicest way. But it's a look you aren't use to and well i just wouldn't. Wait until you are closer to 35 or 40. Plus i feel like women with long grey hair look like witches. I know one person who did grey with long hair and it didn't look good on her. But whatever you do i know you'll be cute as always.

Amy said...

oops!! didn't realize until i made my comment that you decided to color it. Good choice!!
amy

rachellekc said...

i'm just getting in to this! I'm so glad you are still a brunette. You are WAY to young and vibrant to go grey, just yet. The woman you described sounds wonderful, but really, why would you do that? I think you made the right choice!

Anonymous said...

Oh, if only you could have seen the woman we met! You could tell she was the person you could completely depend on and laugh your hardest with - she didn't look old or witch-like. I think waiting too long makes it harder, because if you think of it as old or ugly, who ever feels like they've reached that point? Grey at 27 is different and we all know Lizzie has enough natural vibrance and spunk to not just pull it off but shine like the silver foxette. Besides, don't we all know Lizzie to be dependable and super giggly at the same time!